The Downtown Programme is a series of infrastructure works to redevelop the Auckland waterfront, including upgrades along Quay Street to the seawall and streetscape, installation of Bus Interchanges and redevelopment of the Ferry Basin, creating six new berths on the West Side of Queen’s Wharf. To make space for the new piers, and ensuring cruise ships can still berth on Queen’s Wharf West, two new mooring dolphins will also be constructed to the north of Queen’s Wharf.
TSA are providing project management for the Ferry Basin redevelopment, which will provide a modern ferry terminal suitable for the city’s growing transport needs. The completed ferry terminal will provide improved accessibility and greater operational flexibility to help accommodate increased passenger numbers.
Our responsibilities include:
- Design management from concept to detailed design
- Coordination of nine resource consent applications
- Coordination across different council organisations
- Managing and leading consultant and contractor procurement including establishing a new Auckland Council’s urban designer’s panel.
- Programming for the programme of works and individual projects.
- Risk management
The first pontoon was installed in February 2020, and provides facilities for several thousand passengers a day with the installation of the further five to be undertaken as the project progresses.
Image credit: Isthmus.
new ferry berths
annual journeys by 2025